September 24, 2023 | 12:00am
MANILA, Philippines — The number of candidates in the barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan elections (BSKE) who are being asked to explain why they engage in premature campaigning has increased to 1,955.
The Commission on Elections (Comelec) yesterday said show-cause orders have been issued to the candidates.
The poll body said it has so far received 228 responses.
Upon initial asssessment, the Comelec said 66 candidates are facing disqualification cases.
It said the complaints against 91 candidates have been dropped due to lack of basis.
The Comelec reminded candidates that campaigning is prohibited until Oct. 18.
The start of the campaign period is on Oct. 19.
The Comelec said it would file disqualification cases starting next week.
Comelec Chairman George Garcia said concerned candidates should be able to respond within three days from receipt of the show-cause orders.
Garcia said the Comelec aims to resolve petitions for disqualification before election day.
Meanwhile, in Bataan, 404 assorted firearms, consisting of 323 handguns and 81 long firearms, have been turned over to the police in view of the BSKE.
In his report to Central Luzon police director Brig. Gen. Jose Hidalgo Jr., Bataan police chief Col. Palmer Tria said 11 firearms were surrendered, 392 deposited and one abandoned.
Tria said politicians own a majority of the deposited firearms.
He said the firearms were presented during a recent peace covenant, which was attended by BSKE candidates.